Saturday, May 19, 2007

Wanting to ditch the 'schplint'

So, with one week at work under my belt post-op, I think I can say with certainty that I've still got some recovering to do. The first day was OK, but each successive day was tougher to get through. My sleep patterns still won't settle down. I keep waking up around 4 every morning and I have a tough time getting back to sleep after that. I went back to work in sort of a split shift: I'm in from about 9 till 11 in the morning to help get things started. Then, I head home to have a big lunch and try to get some rest. Then, it's back to work from about 3 till whenever, generally 6:30 or 7. Thursday and Friday, though, I ended up working at least eight hours. So, by Friday, I was whipped.

I also noticed that my jaws were pretty sore by the end of each day. My job involves a lot of talking, which I really hadn't been used to for the previous few weeks. Plus, I still have the four rubber bands -- Chucks, in case you're keeping track -- and the splint.

Ahh, the splint. I can't begin to say how anxious I am to ditch this thing. I'm going on six weeks now and, at the last visit, the doctor seemed to indicate he's going to want me to keep it on for a while longer, apparently to make sure my jaws remain where they're supposed to.

Well, my jaws have been fine ever since April 10 when the doctor locked me down. I have another appointment this Thursday and I think I'm going to have a little chat with the doctor about getting rid of the splint. It's preventing me from really cleaning my upper teeth. The wires that keep it attached poke my lips. Eating is already difficult and doubly so with the splint.

And it makes speaking really tough. I can't even SAY SPLINT! It comes out more like "schplint!" *Sigh*

OK, I think I needed to vent. I'm feeling a little better now. Carry on. ...

1 comment:

Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Vaughn,
I imagine that the splint would totally stink (in more ways then one LOL) I have heard a lot of people complain about them. I liken it to when I had my RPE appliance. It was aweful and I couldn't wait for the 3 months I had to wear it to be over. Once they finally took it out it was like heaven in my mouth!

I'm sure you will feel just the same when the splint finally gets removed. Hang in there, remember...that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger. This is a test of patience, and a exercise in
tolerance and strength. You are almost to the finish line, stay strong and hold the course. Soon, this will all be a distant memory! (thank goodness huh?)

It is so hard to do all of this stuff when you have a job that requires a lot of talking. It is so nice that they are allowing you to work in shifts and sorta ease back into things. I had days at work with the RPE where my tongue would literally be bleeding from taking so much, so I can relate to what you are going though. It's tough, healing takes awhile (always longer then we would like it to.) Hopefully your sleep will start to level out also.

I had a question as to why they advanced you such a small amount? 3mm on top is very little for MMA. Mine will only be 3mm, but that is because I used a MAD appliance previously and with the 6-7mm it advanced my lower jaw it eliminated my apnea so we pretty much know if we can give me the same distance with the surgery that things will be better. I'm wondering if maybe you weren't advanced enough to really open you airways? It's probably to soon to really be looking at this, but I was just curious.

Hope your jaws get some rest this weekend!

Brandy