Monday, April 16, 2007

'All your honest hard work has paid off ... .'

About 5 o'clock this morning, I woke up for only the second (miracle!) time and immediately thought of a piece of music that I really like. Now, don't try to pigeonhole me after this little revelation. I like a huge vareity of music. But, this morning, in my head played the beginning of Beethoven's Symphony No. 6. No, no, no, not that dah-dah dah-dah thing. The next one. This is much lighter, sweeter. It's also known as Pastorale. If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend it. Trying to describe music in words is like trying to describe a color. Hmmm. Let me try this: This music, especially the first movement, is the color of a slow sunrise, culminating in brilliance and promise.

That's what was in my head at 5 this morning, after the best night of sleep I've had in quite a while, counting many of my pre-op nights. I was able to go back to sleep, too, and slept again until about 7.

I slept on my back, on my La-Z-Boy, which Mary and I had dragged into the bedroom, because it's darker and quieter than the living room. That was Mary's idea and a stroke of genius. I'd tried lying on the bed, but the post-nasal drip is just too much right now. So, about 9:30 I climbed onto the recliner, cranked it back about halfway between sitting and prone, wrapped a blanket around myself and put a towel on my chest. Yes, a towel. The gusher of drool continues pretty much unabated. In any case, it took a little while, and I had an ambien standing by just in case I wanted some help, but by around 10 or so, I think, I was out. I woke up once around 2 or so, but was able to get back to sleep. I didn't really get up until 7:30.

I did dream. Nothing special about the content, that I can recall and they weren't particularly vivid. What does make it special is that it happened while I was on my back. Before Tuesday, trying to snooze on my back was pretty much a nonstop cacophany of snorts and grunts. I'd constantly wake up. None of that last night.

And, so, Day 6 begins with a lot of promise. My horoscope (which is free and worth every penny) for today says this:


It's altogether possible that you have an extraordinary day to look forward to, V! Today's planetary alignments will make a kind of synthesis of your experiences over the last two weeks, V. Perhaps you have recently demonstrated certain of your more attractive qualities to someone. It was certainly appreciated! You just might receive an offer that you can't refuse... All your honest hard work has paid off for you, and the stars are on your side!


I'll take that.

So, below are pictures taken this morning. I look more rested, right? Mary suggested that I include one to show you the yellow/purple/blue pennant that starts essentially at the upper lip line of my face and tapers down to a point near my breastbone. I'll leave its creation to your imaginations. Still can't really close my lips, but the swelling is receding. Oh, I also made a little progress on shaving. I got most of it, but my body seems to want to hang on to a soul patch and a little stubble on my chin. Hmm ... I need a haircut.









Today, my goal is to go for a short walk. I think we'll head over to Hugh MacRae Park for a little while. The sun is shining after yesterday's storms. The temperature is perfect. I'm starting to feel a little more human. Queue music, maestro. ...

3 comments:

Mary said...

Hey Vaughn, Yeah, I love that look of the bruising travelling down the neck into the chest. I think most of us have a foto or two like that on our blog. Mine lasted for several weeks before it completely faded. That great news about your sleep! And you are already past day 4, well on your way to a speedy recovery. Its amazing how quickly the days go by, isn't it. Its also interesting to see the progression of the pictures, how there is more light/life in the eyes each day. Mary

57rdi said...

Thanks for the nice words, Mary. I was a little reluctant to post the photo, but my Mary said she thought it would be good. Day 5 was probably the cusp between really tough and getting better for me. Sunday, I definitely knew I'd turned a corner.

Loli said...

Hello Vaugh, i just went thru 2 surgeries for my MMA - here in Stanford. Your blog is great. I was wondering where I could post my blog to help others...eventhogh my case was really rare and having 2 of these puppies was ...well, you can imagine.

here is my blog -

http://anabellesmmajourney.blogspot.com/

I got a lot of stuff there - but in the parts that are *** and in March you will see original x-rays.... hope you are doing better -