Thursday, April 12, 2007

The visuals, baby

OK, look, there's a whole lot of swelling going on, but it don't look so bad, considering I got both jaws broken and a chunk taken out of my chin and moved forward. The colors haven't reached their full splendor yet, but I'm sure they will over the next few days. I hope I was able to Photoshop out all the drool ...

The Money Shot: Taken by Mary about eight hours after surgery



Two days into recovery







I saw the X-rays yesterday. My airway is huge. Unfortunately, I can't really get the full benefit of that right now for a couple of reasons. First, as I've already said, my nose is stuffed up. I finally got some liquid decongestant, so I'm hoping that will help. Second, they had a tube up my left nostril, down my throat and into my stomach until Wednesday morning. My esophagus is somewhat swollen, so that's adding to my troubles breathing and eating. It seems to be going down though. I slurped down a smoothie made of Ensure, frozen berries, some OJ, protein powder and a little bit of psyllium.

As for the hospital experience ... well ... let me say that my doctors are great. In fact the only thing I could really complain about (other than the waiting, of course) was the surgical ICU. That's where I spent Tuesday night. Apparently, that's also where half the staff of the hospital gathers to socialize at the tops of their lungs in the middle of the night. I don't think anyone can expect a hospital to be quiet, especially not an ICU. But, at one point around 3 a.m., it sounding like an actual party was going on. There must have been about 10 different conversations going on, laughing, even a few howls. Really. It was pretty ridiculous. Thankfully, I didn't have to spend another night there.

Overall, though, the surgery seemed to go well. I still have a lot of healing to do. But, the big part is done.

As for today, it's eating and drinking and sleeping.

2 comments:

Lady MS said...

Dear Clif,

Your dad and I are thrilled at how good your face looks. Handsome, of course, but then you were before. Your face looks good because there are hardly any bruise marks that we can see, and any swelling seems to be minimal.

Your blog is great. What a creative way to communicate with lots of people. Fun, too. We are thinking of you. Your dad is praying for you. I'm sending lots of good wishes.

We were completely surprised to find that you were home so soon. Your nourishing drink made me smile, and I told your dad that the drink was obviously Mary's doing. Thank goodness for her - in all of our lives. And that goes for you, too, kiddo.

Keep getting well. Keep writing.

love,
Dad and Mary Sue

Lady MS said...

57rdi said "but my Mary" - a wonderful phrase that tells much about the relationship between you two.

I don't even want to think about what they did to you to cause the bruising down into your chest.

I find it interesting, too, that you don't describe the pain so much but that you do describe the improvement in sleeping. What a terrific outlook you have on this surgery.

I have talked to Amazon.com and you should by now have received the errant gift certificate. Mea culpa.

Now I will go back and read further about your progress. Your dad has most probably already told you about his upcoming surgery this coming Friday. The doctor mentioned slitting your dad's calf and stretching the tendon downward to meet the lower part of the tendon, sewing them together, then wrapping the whole thing in mesh. This would be much better, pain-wise, than removing a tendon from the bottom of your dad's foot to use in place of the torn tendon. The foot has so many nerve endings that a hurt there is worse than other surgical pain. Your dad will be in a cast for 4-6 weeks, then, with some physical therapy, be as good as new. I will try to take care of him well and not become a Nurse Ratchet.

I'm glad you are doing so well, Clif. And I'm glad Mary is there. I send my love to both of you.

mary sue