Thursday, April 26, 2007

The food tips post

Since I'm kind of in a holding pattern until my appointment tomorrow, I decided to start some tips pages to centralize some of the things I've learned that might help others going through this. This food page is one of a few that I'll start keeping and developing. I'll update these pages as I learn and adapt, so if you're interested, check back later. Other people also have created tips for food. Among those who've offered theirs are Annabelle and Mary (no, not that Mary. A different one).

In any case, this isn't everything I do, but these are probably the most important parts of my diet right now. I have lost weight, but I don't think I'm malnourished. I can't take credit for all of these ideas. Some, of course, came from Mary (yes, that Mary). I hope these help.

Essentials


    A good blender: That old Waring that served you well through countless margarita parties during your college days is probably not going to work. Expect to spend at least $50 on a decent blender. I got mine on sale and it works great. Remember: You're going to be using this thing every day. You want it to work and you want it to work well.


    Chicken and vegetable broth: This is a must-have if you need to thin soups and bisques. I'm not talking about bullion cubes or powder. Get the stuff in the cans or cartons. I got Trader Joe's organic free-range chicken broth for $1.99 a quart. It's going to be more at most stores, but it's worth it. You add calories, fat, a little protein and taste.

    Butter and other oils: It is really hard to make sure you get enough calories, especially when all your nutrition has to get slurped through whatever gap or gaps you might have after you're banded or -- god forbid -- wired shut. I melt about a tablespoon of butter into each of my soups and bisques. That adds 100 calories. Yes, I know, lots of saturated fats. At this point, I really don't care. A few weeks of that isn't going to kill me. Malnutrition might. Olive oil works well too, but remember that it can add a taste that might not work well with all foods.

    Whey protein: This is a great way to ensure you're getting enough protein. Obviously, it works well in smoothies and shakes, but I also stir about a teaspoon or so into soups and bisques and never know it's there.


    Baby food: Most babies won't tell you this, but the dinners with the meats and veggies mixed in don't taste all that great. OK, in general, I wouldn't think about having baby food regularly, but since I have to, I'm going to make the best of it. The point is, buy the meats and the veggies separately. I mix these into the bisques to increase the nutrient density. I never really notice.

      Meats: I get mainly turkey and a little bit of beef. I'm not normally a red meat eater, but it does have a higher concentration of protein. We want that.
      Veggies: I got mixed veggies. Remember, potatoes aren't really vegetables. Again, stir them into soups and bisques.


    Powdered vitamins:

      Buffered C capsules: Your gums have been traumatized. This is a great way to give them something they love: Vitamin C. It also helps your body heal in general. I dump about a half of a 1,000 mg capsule in a smoothie. Doesn't taste like anything.


    Fiber:


      Psyllium: This is soluble fiber. I usually tried to get about two teaspoons of this per day, spread out over three or four meals. You can easily stir it into soups and bisques and never know it's there.
      Wheat bran: Mary taught me that this is insoluble fiber. You need this, too. I usually try to work in about a half-teaspoon in a smoothie.


    Raw eggs: Remember Rocky? Look, I'm not going to try to tell you it doesn't look gross. Yes, yes, yes, eggs have (gasp!) cholesterol. Of course, if you've already got a problem, ask your doctor first. But, eggs are incredibly high in calories and nutrients. And after a 15 seconds on puree, you'll never notice it in your smoothies. I'm not suggesting you go for a whole carton, but one a day is great. Note: If you put it in soups, it could start to solidify at higher temperatures, which is not a good thing if you're jaws are locked down.

    Frozen fruit: I always have a supply of frozen blueberries and strawberries for smoothies. I've also used frozen peaches.

    Water: Drink lots of it. Drink a glass or more with every meal. Keep track of what you drink and try to ensure you're downing at least eight glasses a day.


The liquid diet: If you can slurp it, you can eat it


    Basic premise: Eat several times a day. Make each meal count by getting the nutrient and calorie concentration as high as possible. Try slurping over the kitchen sink. First, it makes the cleanup easier. Second, sometimes the gaps clog up and you'll want to rinse. Have a glass of water handy.

    Bisques: When my doctor locked me down with bands, he told me I could eat broths. I was already down to 155 pounds by that time and didn't really want to wither away. I had a few vegetable bisques, which are creamy soups made from stuff like butternut squash, tomatoes and sweet potatoes. I found that if I thinned them with chicken broth, I could stir in baby food, protein powder and psyllium and slurp this out of a mug. IMPORTANT: Add butter or oil to max out the calories.

    Smoothies: I already liked smoothies, so this wasn't a problem for me. The basic ingredients in my smoothies are: vanilla yogurt, about a half-cup or more of orange juice, fruit (I like strawberries and blueberries, but peaches and bananas work, too), protein powder, a raw egg (in the morning) and some fiber. Be sure to run the blender a while to make sure it doesn't have chunks. Although some people have strained theirs, I never have I just rinse my mouth at the sink when things clogged up. I figure I want to try to get some solid stuff down me if I can.

No comments: